(Slightly revised June 23, July 17, and Oct. 4, 2020)
Dear TUMC Community:
Some of you have expressed concern about worship services in light of COVID-19.
TUMC follows public-health guidelines as we continue to be community for each other. We continue with online worship services for now. We will keep you informed as alternate plans develop.
If you don’t receive “TUMC Connects“, first please check your e-mail “junk” or “spam” folder, or (second) contact Mike to get added to the list. We are using this to stay updated more quickly during the COVID19 crisis.
Remember public health advice. Wash your hands often and thoroughly. Avoid touching your own face and other people. Stay home if you think you might be contagious for any kind of illness. In public, stay 2m away from others. (see this graphic from CBC news)
This is also an opportunity to remember that panic is not a spiritual practice and that the Bible warns us against hoarding. As people of faith, we know that we depend on God and on each other through times of crisis. We are still called to live out our values of mutual care under these circumstances.
Let’s stay tuned to anyone who might be vulnerable and in need of a phone call or an extra meal at this time. Or if you are the one in need of practical assistance (extra meals, financial support, etc.), Caring Team can try to help arrange for that.
Finally, remember that prayer is contagious in all the right ways.
Pastors Michele and Peter (in wide consultation).
Mennonite Church Canada Pandemic preparedness: https://www.mennonitechurch.ca/outbreakresources
FAITH FORMATION for all ages
Sunday School continues, with separate JK/SK, Gr. 1-3, and Gr. 4-5 online classes at their own times, online. Families had been contacted last autumn by their respective Sunday school teacher with a meeting time and Zoom link. Please contact the teacher, or Lori U., directly if you need details. We will not gather at the church.
JK through Jr. Youth on Feb. 28, the Second Sunday of Lent: Lesson 2: Jesus in the Temple.
- Jr and Sr Kindergarten – Lori U., Jana L.
- Gr1/2/3 -Ginny L., Andrew and Christine S.
- Gr 4/5- Colette H., Joel K., Denise S.
- Youth class meets as usual at 10:00 am.
- Sermon Conversations meet as usual.
- 10:00 am online: Jr. Youth.
- 10:00 am online: Youth.
On the Way Café is now a bi-weekly podcast hosted by John F-E. We are in a series entitled, “The Mind and Movements of Paul“. What did Paul actually do?! In this session we explore how Paul participated in the God of Israel’s promise to dwell among his people. Give us a listen! Click On the Way Café.
Sunday February 28 at 11:00 am
We gather online, and welcome visitors. We share the link to our online meetings through TUMC Connects, via e-mail. Contact Mike if you’re interested. Just put ‘sign me up for TUMC Connects’ in the subject line’. Could you let us know a little about how you found us – are you already connected with TUMC, are you friends with someone who is, or are you looking for a Church community? (A bit of information helps keep our online gatherings safe and welcoming.)
WORSHIP THEME: Lent: Deep Calls to Deep
11:00 am online Sunday Gathering via Zoom
From the Worship Committee: During Lent (Feb 21 – March 28), as we explore the theme Deep Calls to Deep, households are invited to prepare a few items and have them on hand during worship:
- Please set aside a vessel containing similar items (eg stones, balls, or marbles), which will be used in a guided response. For Feb. 28, you should have 5 items left.
- For Giving with Gratitude, have strips of coloured paper, markers and an envelope to collect your written prayers.
This Sunday’s service:
- Today’s theme: Lent 2 – Deep in the woods: Called to deep commitment
- Scriptures: Genesis 17: 1 – 7, 15 – 16; Romans 4: 13 – 25.
- Worship Leader: Doreen M.
- Speaker: Christina R.
- Music: Sandra H.; Peter V.
- The digital ushers are Donny C.; Peter H.
- Please see the Announcements page (which is updated Friday afternoon) for more details.
- Congregational Prayer: you may send prayer requests to either pastor, in advance.
From Sept. 13 through late June: Worship service begins at 11:00 am.
6:30pm Facilitated Conversations
Seeking God: Finding Wholeness facilitated conversations, on the 3rd floor.
From September 13, 2020 through June, 2020:
* Christian Education begins at 10:00 am;
* Worship Service begins at 11:00 am;
* Informal coffee and fellowship in the lobby at 12:30 pm.