(Slightly revised June 23, July 17, and Oct. 4, 2020)
Dear TUMC Community:
Some of you have expressed concern about worship services in light of COVID-19.
We are following public-health guidelines as we continue to be community for each other. We will continue with online worship services for now. We will keep you informed as alternate plans develop.
If you don’t receive “TUMC Connects“, first please check your e-mail “junk” or “spam” folder, or (second) contact Mike to get added to the list. We are using this to stay updated more quickly during the COVID19 crisis.
Remember public health advice. Wash your hands often and thoroughly. Avoid touching your own face and other people. Stay home if you think you might be contagious for any kind of illness. In public, stay 2m away from others. (see this graphic from CBC news)
This is also an opportunity to remember that panic is not a spiritual practice and that the Bible warns us against hoarding. As people of faith, we know that we depend on God and on each other through times of crisis. We are still called to live out our values of mutual care under these circumstances.
Let’s stay tuned to anyone who might be vulnerable and in need of a phone call or an extra meal at this time. Or if you are the one in need of practical assistance (extra meals, financial support, etc.), Caring Team can try to help arrange for that.
Finally, remember that prayer is contagious in all the right ways.
Pastors Michele and Peter (in wide consultation).
Mennonite Church Canada Pandemic preparedness: https://www.mennonitechurch.ca/outbreakresources
CHRISTIAN EDUCATION for all ages
Sunday School continues, online. We will not gather at the church. For Advent:
- JK-Grade 5 will meet as a group to hear the stories of Advent. Watch for an email with the Zoom link. Contact Lori U. if you don’t receive an email but would like to join.
- 10:00 am online: Jr. Youth and Youth each have their usual online sessions at this time.
Adult Education at TUMC, aka On the Way Café, is pressing pause on weekly (Zoom) gatherings until the new year. Instead, On the Way Café has become a weekly podcast, created by our Adult Education Coordinator, John F-E. Tune in any time as John explores the great story of God and God‘s People. He says, “The biblical narrative is what keeps us from losing our bearings, and creates a frame to interpret all the wonder and the pain of God’s troubled world.” To listen, click the link onthewaycafe.org.
Sunday November 29 at 11:00 am
We will not gather at the church. We are now sharing the links to our online meetings through TUMC Connects, via e-mail. Contact Mike if you’re interested. Just put ‘sign me up for TUMC Connects’ in the subject line’. Could you let us know a little about how you found us – are you already connected with TUMC, are you friends with someone who is, or are you looking for a Church community? (A bit of information helps keep our online gatherings safe and welcoming.)
Preparing for Advent: Households are encouraged to prepare an advent wreath to use for the next 4 Sundays. Separate 4 candles (plus one for Christmas eve) and arrange them in a display where you gather for worship. Each Sunday we will light one more candle together in the service to signify our anticipation of Christmas. (Remember to keep some matches handy).
On the first Sunday of Advent, November 29, we celebrate communion. Please make sure to have some bread and wine (or juice) set aside if you wish to participate in communion.
WORSHIP THEME: Advent I – On the road to readiness
11:00 am online Sunday Gathering via Zoom
- Worship Leader: Doreen M.
- Speaker: Michele R. will speak.
- The digital ushers are Jon B. and Nathaniel P.
- Online Worship Coordinator: Cedric M.
- Please see the Announcements page (which is updated Friday afternoon) for more details.
- Scriptures: Mark 13: 24 – 37; Isaiah 64: 1 – 9.
- Congregational Prayer: you may send prayer requests to either pastor, in advance.
- Communion: This Sunday, Nov. 29, we will celebrate Advent I with Communion. Please have the Elements for Communion (bread, and wine or juice) ready at your home.
From Sept. 13 through late June: Worship service begins at 11:00 am.
6:30pm Facilitated Conversations
Seeking God: Finding Wholeness facilitated conversations, on the 3rd floor.
From September 13, 2020 through June, 2020:
* Christian Education begins at 10:00 am;
* Worship Service begins at 11:00 am;
* Informal coffee and fellowship in the lobby at 12:30 pm.